In late 2015, the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) came into effect. The 17 SDGs aim to tackle some of the world’s most pressing economic, environmental and social issues.
We have identified five key SDGs for specific focus, in order to maximise our contribution.
17. Partnerships for the Goals
Strengthen the means of implementation and revitalise the global partnership for sustainable development.
We work together, combining our distinctive capabilities to deliver the best possible result. We aim to be the partner of choice wherever in the world we operate.
- Continue to partner with peers, governments, academia and civil society groups to advance progress towards the goals
- Our FutureLab program drives partnerships that foster collaborative innovation across oil and gas technologies, carbon management and facility efficiency in support of the goals
7. Affordable and Clean Energy
Ensure access to affordable, reliable, sustainable and modern energy for all.
Our AspirationsWe will continue to supply LNG to displace coal and support intermittent renewables. We will also support the creation of LNG markets for transportation and remote power, and investigate low-carbon energy sources.
- Commence deliveries of trucked LNG from Pluto in 2019
- For direct emissions, improve energy efficiency by 5% against baseline by 20201
- Eliminate routine flaring from our oil facilities by 2030
1. Baseline performance is measured relative to energy efficiency prior to 2016
- Deliveries of LNG for trucking commenced in 2019
- Improved energy efficiency by 3.1% against baseline by 2019
- Reduced flaring by 14% in 2019
9. Industry, Innovation and Infrastructure
Build resilient infrastructure, promote inclusive and sustainable industrialisation and foster innovation.
We will continue to improve productivity and energy efficiency by embracing technology and innovation, and incorporating renewables at our assets.
- Improve our operations through the adoption of more efficiency technologies, and improvements in industrial processes, to meet our energy efficiency target
- Goodwyn-A offshore platform battery installed, in a world-first application, to reduce use of fuel gas on the facility
13. Climate Action
Take urgent action to combat climate change and its impacts.
We collaborate with partners, peers and stakeholders for a competitive, low-carbon economy and support initiatives that improve climate change resilience.
- Continue to partner with academia to find new technology that unlocks affordable new energy and profitable carbon abatement
- Established a partnership with Monash University in 2019 to progress energy solutions for a lower-carbon future in Australia
- Extended a memorandum of understanding with Korea Gas Corporation to conduct a feasibility study on a green hydrogen export project
14. Life Below Water
Conserve and sustainably use the oceans, seas and marine resources for sustainable development.
We uphold robust environmental management and process safety practices to minimise our impact on marine environments, and partner with research institutions to contribute to knowledge of these areas.
- Maintain partnerships with research institutions to contribute to knowledge of marine environments in areas where we are active
- We continue to partner with the Australian Institute of Marine Science and the Western Australian Museum to support research and progress knowledge that informs approvals and impact assessments