In late 2015, the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) came into effect. The 17 SDGs aim to tackle some of the world’s most pressing economic, environmental and social issues.
We have identified five key SDGs for specific focus, in order to maximise our contribution.
Partnerships for the Goals
We recognise that partnerships are essential to delivering meaningful contributions, given the global nature of the SDGs
We work together, combining our distinctive capabilities to deliver the best possible result. We aim to be the partner of choice wherever in the world we operate.
- Continue to partner with peers, governments, academia and civil society groups to advance progress towards the goals
- Leverage opportunities through existing partnerships and joint venture participants
Affordable and Clean Energy
Access to reliable, sustainable, and affordable sources of energy provides the foundation for economic growth and reduced poverty.
We will continue to supply LNG to displace coal and support intermittent renewables. We will also support the creation of LNG markets for transportation and remote power, and investigate low-carbon energy sources.
- Commence deliveries of trucked LNG from Pluto in 2019
- For direct emissions, improve energy efficiency by 5% against baseline by 20201
- Eliminate routine flaring from our oil facilities by 2030
1. Baseline performance is measured relative to energy efficiency prior to 2016
Industry, Innovation and Infrastructure
We believe that technology and innovation are essential to unlocking new energy markets and ensuring long-term sustainability
We will continue to improve productivity and energy efficiency by embracing technology and innovation, and incorporating renewables at our assets
- Improve our operations through the adoption of more efficiency technologies, and improvements in industrial processes, to meet our energy efficiency target
- Explore opportunities to incorporate renewable power generation into our portfolio
We recognise the scientific consensus on climate change and the challenge of providing safe, clean, affordable and reliable energy while reducing emissions in line with the Paris Agreement
We collaborate with partners, peers and stakeholders for a competitive, low-carbon economy and support initiatives that improve climate change resilience
- Continue to partner with academia to find new technology that unlocks affordable new energy and profitable carbon abatement
- Promote the World Bank's Methane Guiding Principles initiative
- Advocate for a global carbon price
- Collaborate with peers to assess the commercial feasibility of LNG as a marine fuel between the Pilbara and North Asia
Life Below Water
With operations offshore, we understand the imperative to minimise our impacts on ocean environments
We uphold robust environmental management and process safety practices to minimise our impact on marine environments, and partner with research institutions to contribute to knowledge of these areas
- Maintain partnerships with research institutions to contribute to knowledge of marine environments in areas where we are active
- Maintain memberships with global oil spill response organisations who provide access to world-leading spill response capabilities and technologies