On 17 August 2015, the Department of Environment announced
that the proposed Browse FLNG Development had been granted Commonwealth environmental
approval under the Environment Protection and Biodiversity Conservation Act
In November 2013, the development was referred through the Department of the Environment (DOE) for environmental assessment as a controlled action under the Commonwealth Environment Protection and Biodiversity Conservation Act 1999 (EPBC Act). Documentation is available on the DOE website www.environment.gov.au.
The Browse FLNG Development is the fifth project utilising FLNG technology to be referred under the EPBC Act. The design of the Browse FLNG facilities will be predominantly the same as for the Prelude FLNG Project, with minor modifications required due to the different characteristics and water depth at the location of the Browse reservoirs.
The Browse FLNG Development is being assessed by Environmental Impact Statement (EIS). The Draft EIS document addresses the EIS Guidelines issued by the Minister for the Environment.
The Draft EIS:
- Describes the components of the Browse FLNG Development and the activities to be undertaken.
- Communicates the proposed development to stakeholders to assist in providing opportunity for informed comment.
Places the Browse FLNG Development in the context of the local and regional physical, ecological, socio-economic and cultural environment.
- Defines management and mitigation measures proposed to minimise potential adverse impacts to ensure they are at an acceptable level.
- Identifies and assesses the residual risk of environmental impacts to the physical, ecological, socio-economic and cultural environment.
- Demonstrates that Woodside, as Operator, has a comprehensive management structure and system to implement, maintain and monitor the commitments detailed in the Draft EIS.
The Draft EIS was available for formal public review from 19 November to 19 December 2014. Responses to the public review are captured and presented in the EIS Supplement document.
Together the Browse FLNG Development Draft EIS and the Browse FLNG Development Supplement to the Draft EIS make up the Final EIS for the Browse FLNG Development. These documents are available for download below. The Draft EIS individual chapters and appendices are provided for ease of download due to large file sizes.
Separate environmental approvals will cover any drilling, installation and operations activities.
Browse FLNG Development Supplement to the Draft EIS
Individual Draft EIS Sections
Appendix F - Technical Studies